CE Marking

The European construction industry is undergoing a major transformation in the way construction products are sold.

Since coming into force on July 1, 2013, the Construction Products Regulation 2011 (CPR) means all construction products placed on the market must include CE Marking if they are covered by a harmonised European standard (hEN) or European Technical Assessment (ETA). Failure to do so will mean that products affected by the change will no longer be eligible for sale within the EU.

Recognised by the European Commission as a Technical Assessment Body (TAB), we can help steer manufacturers through the new legislation. As well as ETAs we can issue and act as the notified body for system 1+, 1 and 2+ attestation of conformity and can carry out a large range of initial type tests.

If you have any further questions email: clientservices@bba.star.co.uk.

How to get CE Marking with the BBA

As a notified body under the Construction Products Regulation (CPR) we can assist with CE marking via the following products:

1. European Technical Approvals (ETAs)

An ETA is an approval based on testing carried out to agreed European levels. They are more relevant for new and innovative products not covered by hENs. An ETA provides a technical assessment of a product’s fitness for use – based on the product’s contribution to fulfilling the Essential Requirements stated in the CPR. See our simple 10-step guide to completing ETA approval by clicking here [LINK]

2. Certificates of Constancy of Performance

Used to show a product can demonstrate the requirements of either an ETA or hEN, where the Assessment and Verification of Constancy of Performance (AVoCP) level has been set at system 1 or 1+. In such cases aspects of the product’s performance will need to be ratified. This is a service the BBA can carry out for manufacturers. It will also be necessary to confirm that all other requirements of the ETA or hEN have been met, which may require additional testing.

3. Certificates of Conformity of the Factory Production Control (FPC)

This can be used to show that a product complies with the requirements of either an ETA or hEN, and where the Assessment and Verification of Constancy of Performance (AVCP) level has been set at system 2+.

4. Determination of Product-Type

This covers a wide-range of construction products and tests are carried out on the basis of type-testing, type calculation, descriptive documentation or other measures described in the harmonised technical specification. It is used to determine the performance of specific areas of the product type. The BBA can carry out this test and, where manufacturers wish to add further credibility to a product, we can carry out further tests specified in hENs.

Our test teams can help with all CE marking requirements. To find out more complete our CE Marking enquiry form.

What does CE Marking mean?

CE Marking is designed to make trade across the EU easier. It is a manufacturer’s confirmation that a product meets all EU legislation and is fit for purpose.

It does not mean that a product meets all health and safety requirements of each EU member state. Responsibility for ensuring that a product has the correct characteristics for a particular application rests with designers, contractors and local building authorities in each country.

The BBA has collaborated with the Construction Products Association and other organisations to put together a Guidance Note on the Construction Products Regulation to explain the CPR and its impact on the construction industry.

We’ll help you find what you’re looking for…