Brexit and ETA's (European Technical Assessment):
What You Need to Know

The latest updates and frequently asked questions around the hot topic of Brexit and ETA's (European Technical Assessments)

If you are a manufacturer or distributor based in the UK or situated in the EU and need to know more about how the changes to ETA’s (European Technical Assessments) may affect you, this page is dedicated to answering the most topical questions on this subject.

Note: All answers are correct as of 11th November 2020.

Frequently Asked Questions

We have ETAs (European Technical Assessment) with the BBA. Will the BBA automatically transfer and reissue those as UKTAs, or do we have to request for this to happen? Will there be a cost involved and, in the case of both UKCA and CE Marking, would we essentially end up with two certificates?

If you need to continue to sell into the UK market, we believe that you do not have to transfer your ETA into a UKTA.

If you wish for the BBA to reissue the certificate under the UK-notified body number, this can be done, but is not an essential requirement.

In the case of selling to the EU market, where CE marking is concerned, you will be required to have your ETA copied across to an EU TAB (Technical Assessment Body) by the end of 2020.

We have already contacted all of our BBA ETA holders to find out if they want to convert their ETA to UKTA (UK Technical Assessment), and whether they want to transfer or duplicate the technical files to our EU partner TAB, or whether they want to do both or, in fact, neither. This decision will ultimately depend on the markets you intend to sell into.

Note: The Government has advised that existing certificates from UK Notified Bodies will be treated as if they were issued under the new UK framework, which means that you would only be required to update your existing ETA, which will support your UKCA marking.

Will an ETA (European Technical Assessment) issued by a UK TAB (Technical Assessment Body) prior to the 31st December 2020 continue to be valid after 1st January 2021?

They will continue to be valid for UKCA marking.

They will not, however be valid for CE marking, unless further agreement between the UK and EU is reached.

What will happen to any ongoing ETA contracts that the BBA cannot deliver before 1st January 2021. Can work in progress be transferred to EU partner organisations?

We will work with our partner to deliver the most efficient and cost effective service, which will depend on the individual circumstances. If you are concerned as to a particular ongoing contract, please contact the BBA as soon as possible.

My ETA is issued by a Technical Assessment Body (TAB) in the EU. Can I use my existing technical file to support UKCA Marking?


The Withdrawal Agreement makes it clear that both the EU and the UK are keen that operator do not have to double their efforts.

The BBA can work with you and our EU TAB partner to transfer technical file information so that the process of moving to a UK TAB and having a UKTA issued is as smooth as possible.

What happens for sales to the EU market if we have an ETA?

If you sell into the EU, you must have a CE Marking. Note that UK Government guidance states ‘If you’ve already placed your goods on the market in an EU country (or in the UK) before 1 January 2021, you do not need to do anything.’ Although you may need to change to a EU NB (Notified Body).

For the future, if you are placing new goods on the market in the EU and the UK, you may choose to have both CE Marking and UKCA Marking.

The BBA has arrangements in place with a European partner so that ETA technical files can be transferred between bodies to minimise duplication of conformity assessment. If this is necessary, you will enter a contract between you, the BBA and our European partner. The European TAB will then be able to reissue your ETA. Your CE Marking label will need to change to identify the new TAB.

Ask a Question

If your question isn’t answered below, get in touch and we’ll do our best to help with any query during these turbulent times.

Thank you for your message. It has been sent.
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later.

For up to date details, questions and answers around UKCA Marking, UKNI Marking,CE Marking and questions the BBA have been asked to answer, check out the dedicated webpage here: