CE Marking: What You Need to Know

The latest updates and frequently asked questions around the hot topic of CE Marking

If you are a manufacturer or distributor based in the UK or situated in the EU and need to know more about how CE Marking may affect you, this page is dedicated to answering the most topical questions on the subject of CE Marking.

Note: All answers are correct as of 24th November 2020.

Frequently Asked Questions

CE Marking – Is this still valid?

Yes, if your marking is provided by a NB (Notified Body) registered in the EU.

If your CE Marking is carried out by a UK NB your CE Marking will not be valid unless a deal is agreed and the stipulations of this deal.

Current CE Marking will be recognised in both the EU and the UK until 2022.

Can a product destined to the EU have both the CE Marking and UKCA Marking (and UKNI Marking) alongside each other?

Yes.  A product could potentially require all three marks if it’s to be sold in all three areas.

In these instances, the CPA (Construction Products Association) have suggested that the marks are positioned quite separately, and clearly, to avoid confusion, although one of the government examples of a logo has them lying quite closely next to each other. This is, however, to be confirmed.

For clarification, to continue to CE Marking we don’t need to do anything?

For a full description and clarification on this topic, please use the link below:


If you’ve already placed your goods on the market, in an EU country, or in the UK before 1st January 2021, you do not need to do anything if you use an EU NB (Notified Body).

  • For products already placed on the market, CE marking will continue to be recognised in the UK market for one year. For new products or newly-marked products, a new marking will be required.
  • For products already placed on the UK market (or in any EU country) from Northern Ireland before 1st January 2021; these goods can continue to circulate until they reach the end-user. You don’t need to do anything.

Note: A good is ‘placed on the market’ when a written or verbal agreement (or offer of an agreement) to transfer ownership or possession or other rights in the product. This does not require physical transfer of the good.

We currently have CE Marking through an EU NB (Notified Body) or TAB (Technical Assessment Body) – can the BBA carry out the conformity assessment tasks to support UKCA marking?


The BBA will function as both the UK technical assessment body equivalent to a TAB for a wide range of construction products, and will also serve as a UK Approved Body (equivalent to the current NB (Notified Body)) for product certification system, plus FPC (Factory Production Control) and system three testing.

At the time of writing the details have not yet been finalised by the Government.

If we have a CE Marking via an EU notified body do we still need a UKNI Mark as well as the UKCA Mark?

If you have a CE mark from an EU notified body and you’re selling in Northern Ireland, you only need a CE marking which will continue to be acceptable in Northern Ireland only.

If a UK company already has a product on the market, CE marked, can you confirm you don’t have to do anything to continue to sell that product on the UK Market, until January 2022.

Yes that’s the case, whether it’s a UK body or EU body supporting the certification, CE Marking will be acceptable.

If a UK company already has a product on the market, CE marked, can you confirm you don’t have to do anything to continue to sell that product on the EU Market, until January 2022?

No, unfortunately the current CE Marking in Europe will not be accepted. If you want to export and if you want a CE Mark; the answer is no if it’s a UK Body supporting the CE Marking.

It will be accepted for UKCA Marking and you can transfer to a UKCA mark without doing anything. But if you wish to export,  you are going to have to have an EU based organisation to support the CE Marking.

Ask a Question

If your question isn’t answered below, get in touch and we’ll do our best to help with any query during these turbulent times.

Thank you for your message. It has been sent.
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later.

For up to date details, questions and answers around UKCA Marking, UKNI Marking,CE Marking and questions the BBA have been asked to answer, check out the dedicated webpage here: https://www.bbacerts.co.uk/ukca-mark/