UKCA Marking: What You Need to Know

The latest updates and frequently asked questions around the hot topic of UKCA Marking

If you are a manufacturer or distributor based in the UK or situated in the EU and need to know more about how UKCA Marking may affect you, this page is dedicated to answering the most topical questions on the subject of UKCA Marking.

Note: All answers are correct as of 18th January 2021.

Frequently Asked Questions

What technical information must accompany the UKCA Marking?

A Declaration of Performance (DoP)must be made for UKCA Marking, as for CE Marking. These could hold the same information and duplication of this information will be required and this will remain as such, unless the requirements for either Marking differ.

Will BBA Agrément and HAPAS Certificates be changing?

One of the most important things to note is that BBA Agrément and HAPAS Certificates are unaffected by BREXIT.

Does the UKCA Marking have to be on a product or its wrapping?

Yes. It should be visible on the product, unless the size or nature of the product makes this impossible. The UKCA marking needs to be affixed visibly, legibly and indelibly to the construction product or to a label attached to it. Where this is not possible or not warranted on account of the nature of the product, it shall be affixed to the packaging or to the accompanying documents.

Can the UKCA Marking just be mentioned on a relevant page on the website?

No. It needs to be on the product unless the size or nature of the product makes this impossible.

Will UKCA Marking apply in the Channel Islands and Isle of Man?

Yes. It is expected that they will, but at the moment we don’t have a definite answer.

The only territory we have specific rules for is Northern Ireland, but it is expected they will follow something similar under a different framework.

Will tests carried out in an EU Member State be acceptable for UKCA Marking?

The UK Government has indicated that this will be down to the discretion of individual UK TAB / Abs.

The BBA will accept suitably Notified / accredited test data irrespective of the country of origin.

Where there is no harmonised standard and CE Marking is voluntary in the UK, will this still be the case with the UKCA Marking?

Yes, at the moment this is what is expected.

UK assessment documents are to be created which would be the basis for a UK technical assessment in order to support UKCA marking on a voluntary basis.

Do I need to use the UKCA Marking on any existing stock?

No, this does not apply to existing stock. For example, if your good was fully manufactured and ready to place on the market before 1st January 2021, you do not need to use the UKCA marking. The following does apply however;

  • Only on the GB market
  • Only until 31 December 2021
  • From 1st January 2022, you will need to use the UKCA Marking where CE Marking was previously required

Can I place both CE and UKCA Markings on a product?

Yes, but both logos should be placed so that neither impedes the visibility of the other.

Ask a Question

If your question isn’t answered below, get in touch and we’ll do our best to help with any query during these turbulent times.

Marking Type
Thank you for your message. It has been sent.
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later.

For up to date details, questions and answers around UKCA Marking, UKNI Marking,CE Marking and questions the BBA have been asked to answer, check out the dedicated webpage here: