ISO 45001 is the internationally recognised standard for Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) and through its implementation, it can help companies to reduce and mitigate risks, provide regulation and ultimately puts employee’s safety at the forefront.
ISO 45001 is an improved OHSMS standard which utilises the original OHSAS 18001 criteria but uses an Annex SL structure like other ISO management systems, making the implementation easier and more efficient.
The key differences between both standards are that ISO 45001 requires the company management to take a stronger leadership role in Occupational Health and Safety and for this to be incorporated into the overall management system of the company. ISO 45001 also follows a preventative process, requiring hazard risks to be evaluated and remedied before they cause accidents and injuries, unlike OHSAS 18001, which focused only on hazard control.
By becoming certified to ISO 45001, it means that your company’s Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) policy satisfies the requirements of the standard which helps your business to reduce staff productivity and increase staff engagement.
Benefits that your business can gain by having ISO 45001 include:
• Risk reduction – Through the identification of problem areas, you will be able to put in place applicable OH&S procedures which will help you reduce risks for your company and employees.
• Transparency – Through your OH&S policy, you can present clear, transparent measures and new and improved adjustments which you can share with your employees and external agencies where required.
• Improved productivity – By identifying high-risk areas, you will be able to adjust processes to mitigate risk and ultimately improve staff productivity.
• Continuous improvement – ISO 45001 encourages constant review and growth; which supports a development mindset and approach for the overall company.
• Increased engagement – By having clear, transparent and regular improvement, your staff will become more engaged with the processes and company.
Ultimately ISO 45001 ensures that there is an increased commitment to occupational health and safety across your business. This awareness can result in savings of time and money, a reduction in incidents and the improvement of employee well-being and an increase in morale.
If you currently hold certification for OHSAS 18001:2007, and comply with BS 18004:2008, please contact us to discuss how we can help you transition to ISO 45001.
If you are unsure which management system would be suitable or are looking to implement more than one, this can also be done through the BBA.
Email or call us on 01923 665300 to find out how your company can benefit from ISO certification with the BBA.