FPC Against BS EN 1090 (Load-Bearing Steel and Aluminium Structures)2021-12-15T11:58:04+00:00

EN 1090

FPC Against BS EN 1090
(Load-Bearing Steel and
Aluminium Structures)

Under the CPR (Construction Products Regulation) 2013, CE marking of construction products placed in the European and UK markets became mandatory where the product is covered by a harmonised European Standard (hEN).

It was therefore a legal requirement for load-bearing steel and aluminium structures or structural components to be CE marked as per the requirements of EN 1090 (Execution of steel structures and aluminium structures) and this remains the case for products being placed on the market in the EU.

Post-Brexit, the UKCA has introduced new markings, UKCA and UKNI, that will replace CE marking for the UK. Details of this can be found here (link to UKCA page).

The standard covers fabricated steel and aluminium components for ‘permanent incorporation into construction works’. It includes components used directly in construction, those sold as kits for construction, and those used in composite steel and concrete products. It applies to both series and non-series products.

The BBA has been designated an Approved Body to carry out the necessary Certification of FPC against BS EN 1090 (UKCA Marking).

As with all UKCA Marking, the BBA has partnered with a variety of EU Notified Body’s to allow for FPC under UKCA and CE Marking Certification to be handled under one audit stream.

Note: As a UKAS accredited Certification Body (No 0113) the BBA can offer certification for Factory Production Control, as required for CE Marking against EN 1090, which is mandatory for manufacturers of load-bearing steel and aluminium structures or structural components who are looking to enter the European market.

The BBA are a UKAS accredited Certification Body (No 0113)

The BBA can offer certification for Factory Production Control, as required for CE Marking against EN 1090, which is mandatory for manufacturers of load-bearing steel and aluminium structures or structural components who are looking to enter the European market.

Contact us.

BS EN 1090 FAQ’s

What are the key differences between CE to UKCA? Is there a standard change between CE to UKCA?2021-12-09T11:42:16+00:00

CE Marking is for selling products compliant with relevant EN standards in Europe and UKCA marking is for selling products complaint with the same EN standards (now called Designated Standards) in UK (from 1st of January 2023).

The standards have not changed at all.

When assessing the suitability of a Structural Engineer what, in relation to qualifications should be considered? For example a degree in civil/mechanical engineering or a membership of a engineering institute etc.2021-12-09T11:43:14+00:00

Generally, with regards to design; resources, premises, personnel and equipment will be evaluated.

In relation to the designer; competency is assessed and qualifications, training and experience together with membership of professional bodies (such as Chartered Structural or Civil Engineer) and Structural Engineers Registration Ltd (SER) in Scotland, are examined.

Is there difference between a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and Factory Production Control (FPC) or are both the same thing?2021-12-09T11:43:10+00:00

With regards to construction products and BS EN 1090, a Declaration of Performance DoP (instead of CoC) is required.

A DoP clearly expresses the product performance in relation to the essential characteristics defined in the standard.

However, a Factory Production Control (FPC) certificate is issued by a Notified Body (NB – such as the BBA) after successful assessment of a manufacturer’s compliance with requirements of BS EN 1090.

The FPC certificate is essential and the certificate number must be listed in the DoP.

It is compulsory to have in-house Structural Engineering or can you use a Freelancer?2021-12-09T11:43:02+00:00

It is not a requirement of the standard to have structural engineers employed by the manufacturer. The design can be sub-contracted.

How is BS EN 1090 for products manufactured in the UK qualifying for CE in other countries?2021-12-09T11:30:36+00:00

First, the manufacturer is required to obtain an FPC certificate in relation to BS EN 1090 from a European Notified Body (NB – BBA for example), this will allow them to draw up a DoP and in turn CE Mark their product(s)

Are there any plans to update the BS EN 1090 Standard?2021-12-09T11:28:49+00:00

The standards are constantly reviewed, BS EN 1090 is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and future updates are likely to happen. We are not aware of any reviews which may be taking place at this time (December 2021).

What is the difference between UKCA and UKTA?2021-12-09T11:42:49+00:00

UKCA Markings are used where a Designated Standard covers a product, service or process (standards that businesses can use to show their products, services or processes comply with essential requirements of legislation). If a product is NOT covered by a Designated Standard, UKCA Marking is voluntary. In these cases a UKTA will be required to achieve this mark.

What are the benefits of converting from ETA to UKTA?2021-12-09T11:42:43+00:00
  • Recognised by UK specifiers
  • Access to the UK Market
  • Simple and quick conversion process
  • Uses your existing ETA for ease of conversion
  • Working with your existing EU Technical Assessment Body to keep things simple
  • Future specification may demand UKTA
  • ETAs will no longer be recognised in the UK when these changes take effect.
  • UKTA’s can be a quick and simple route towards a UKCA Marking
  • Allows the use of UKCA Marking on products not covered by Designated Standards (formerly harmonised European Standard)
  •  Acts as a stepping stone towards gaining a national technical approval – a fully-fledged BBA Agrément Certificate
Contact us.
Go to Top