Munster Joinery is now among the largest manufacturers of energy efficient windows and doors in Europe. Founded in 1973, the company has grown year on year, with the continuous development of new products, materials and processes. With operations in Ireland, Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom, the company has a 910,000sq ft. production facility on a sixty five acre site in Ballydesmond with another 230,000 sq ft on a 20 acre site at Wellesbourne in the UK. We serve the Irish, UK and international markets.
The Passiv AluClad composite window system is the first composite system of its type to achieve BBA approval. The system consists of two frames made from different materials: the external frame is power coated aluminium; the internal frame is made of laminated timber. A PVC-U channel filled with insulating foam links the two frames together and is designed to eliminate thermal bridging at all critical points. The window is designed to meet passove housing needds; building envelope insulating properties which allow for comfortable indoor temperatures without the need for a conventional heating system.
The triple glazed window has been used in a social housing development by the Sustainable Design Collective for the South Devon Housing Association. The clear varnished internal finish gave the aesthetic advantages and warmth of a natural wooden window, while the external aluminium frame provided structural strength, corrosion resistance, durability and recyclability of aluminium and could be supplied in a range of RAL colours to allow flexibility of design.
- Factors relating to compliance with Building Regulations where applicable
- Factors relating to additional non-regulatory information where applicable
- Independently verified technical specification
- Assessment criteria and technical investigations
- Design considerations
- Installation guidance
- Regular surveillance of production
- Formal three-yearly review
Key Factors Assessed:
- Thermal properties — windows from within the range have thermal transmittance values (U values) between 0.7 and 1.2 W·m–2·K–1, depending on the glazing unit
- Ventilation — opening lights can provide rapid ventilation
- Basic security against intrusion — the windows meet the basic requirements of NHBC
- Durability — the frames will have a life of at least 25 years