UKCA Marking.

What we know with 6 months

to go!

The clock has always been ticking when it comes to Brexit, albeit at different speeds and to various timescales it seems. But one timeline that cannot be ignored is the transition from CE Marking to UKCA Marking, the deadline of which is now only 6 months away.

Simon Wroe (BBA Head of Key Accounts), on behalf of the BBA has ran many webinars on the subject – more information can be found here said

“We are now just six months away from this transition and although the BBA make this process simple and straightforward, there are still caveats to consider on an individual basis that can increase the timescale – from Application to Marking Conformity – so the sooner you instigate this process the better.

There are a whole host of complexities that need to be considered such as the number of products, if these are covered by a UK Designated Standard or not and who has carried out and/or issued third party conformity and your ETA, but the BBA can manage this process step-by-step removing the complexity of these and other issues.”

Simon Wroe, Head of Key Accounts, British Board of Agrément

To make sure your construction products fully conform to this new marking, here is a quick rundown of the most frequently asked question we’ve been answering over previous months;

What technical information must accompany the UKCA Marking?

A Declaration of Conformity (DoC) must be made for UKCA Marking, as a Declaration of Performance (DoP) is made for CE Marking. These could hold the same information and duplication of this information will be required and this will remain as such, unless the requirements for either Marking differ.

Does the new UKCA logo have to appear on the product?

In most cases, you must apply the UKCA marking to the product itself or to the packaging, but please see for Government advice on how to use the marking correctly.

If we have a BBA Agrément Certificate, do we still need UKCA Marking?

Possibly – UKCA is compulsory for products falling under UK Designated Standards (formerly harmonised Standards). Otherwise, it is possible via the voluntary route, but this is optional.

BBA Agrément is a voluntary approval but this goes into far greater depth and provides greater validation of a products ‘fit for use’ in terms of performance, durability and its position under national Building Regulations etc.

I have CE Marking with a European Notified Body, can they provide UKCA Marking conformity?

No, but the BBA can help with both!

UK regulations state that a UK Approved Body must be used when seeking UKCA Marking conformity. For CE Marking related issues an EU Notified Body should be used. The BBA can assist with both through our strategic partnership network (

What is the process for UKCA Marking?

More information can be found here ( but there are 4 simple steps that need to be followed;

1 – Application –

2 – Programme of Work

3 – Current Certification Assessed

4 – UKCA Conformity

That’s it!

How long and how much does this cost?

As you can imagine, it is more complex that just providing a single figure as the following needs to be taken into consideration;

• The number of products

• The nation in which your company is based

• The markets you sell into

• Whether your product is covered by a UK Designated Standard or not

• Your AVCP level (where applicable)

• Whether your third-party conformity tasks are carried out by a UK approved or EU notified body

• Whether your ETA was issued by a UK or EU TAB (Technical Approval Body)

• Whether it is an existing product or a new product (i.e. whether it was already CE Marked at the end of 2020)

You can view more of our frequently asked questions around UKCA legislation, standards and marking conformity here.