The British Board of Agrément (BBA) has approved Max Frank’s Shearail® punching shear reinforcement system (14/5112) for use as an integrated shear reinforcement to increase shear resistance in concrete slabs.
Shearail® is a prefabricated punching shear reinforcement system, developed by Max Frank and used on UK sites for over ten years, for flat, piled and post-tensioned slabs. It is designed to increase construction speed, improve build quality and reduce dependency on skilled labour – significantly reducing on-site costs.
The BBA analysed test data to confirm Shearail®’s compliance and suitability to provide additional shear resistance when used as punching shear reinforcement for reinforced concrete structures; provided it is designed and installed properly. It is the opinion of the BBA that under normal service conditions and protected by minimal concrete cover, the system can achieve a service life of at least 60 years.
The BBA certification provides consultant engineers, contractors and local authorities with the assurance that the material used is from a traceable source and has been independently tested and verified for use in concrete floors in accordance with BS 8110 and BS EN 1992-1-1 (EC2).
- Factors relating to compliance with Building Regulations where applicable
- Factors relating to additional non-regulatory information where applicable
- Independently verified technical specification
- Assessment criteria and technical investigations
- Design considerations
- Installation guidance
- Regular surveillance of production
- Formal three-yearly review
Key Factors Assessed
- Structural performance — the system will provide additional shear resistance when used as punching shear reinforcement for reinforced concrete structures provided it is designed and installed properly.
- Behaviour in relation to fire — the system will not affect the fire resistance of the reinforced concrete structures as long as the suitable covers are provided.
- Durability — under normal service conditions and protected by minimum concrete cover, the system can achieve a service life of at least 60 years.